Marriage License Helpful Details MN & WI

_MG_0771Minnesota and Wisconsin We provide this information as a  free service for couples. You can depend on this information to be accurate and updated 2019.

It is the responsibility of each couple to obtain their own marriage license in the required time prior to their wedding day. Below are some of the important guidelines set by MN and WI.

It is best to contact your county clerk for any changes that may occur in marriage license requirements.

It is the responsibility of the officiant to receive the license from the couple on their wedding day, to be sure it is properly filled out, and then the officiant is legally responsible to submit it  promptly.

Name Change – No Fee!  There is no fee associated with your name change if that change is made at the time you apply for your wedding license.

We invite you to contact us for information on our wide range of officiating services and fees and to set up a free, no-obligation consultation.

If you “just want to get married” or have a small, personalized private ceremony, CLICK HERE for more information.

Minnesota (updated  2019)

Apply in any county within the state.  Hennepin County  and Ramsey County information provided here.  Do not sign your application until you are at the service center.  Apply in person.  Each county in MN resides over their rules and regulations re: marriages… so know that the following is general information for MN. Neither of you is required to be a Minnesota resident.  You must bring a driver’s license or state ID.   Your marriage license is valid for six months in the state of Minnesota.  If your divorce was finalized in the last 30 days, bring a certified copy of the divorce decree. There is no waiting period in Hennepin & Ramsey counties (and possibly others as well). License may be used anywhere in the state.

MN Marriage License Fee Discount of $75 when completing premarital offerings :    Please visit our Marriage Enrichment page for more information. We invite you to contact us for information on our officiating services.

Wisconsin (updated 2019)

Couple with one residing in-state: At least one of the marrying couple must reside for at least 30 days in the county where the application is made. When you apply in the county in which either is a resident the license may be used anywhere in the state. Couple must  apply together and in-person.  Certified birth certificate (photocopy not accepted) and social security number  are required. Proof of residence is required (driver’s license, utility bill etc.) Make sure you have the date and place of your marriage ceremony and the name, address and phone number of the officiant.

Couples with both  residing out-of-state who wish to be married in Wisconsin MUST COME IN-PERSON TOGETHER to apply for their license in the county clerk’s office in which they intend to be married.  There are no exceptions to this unique Wisconsin statute.

Applications time-sensitive: Apply no later than six full working days prior to wedding date — two weeks prior is recommended.  A waiting period waiver may be obtained in extreme circumstances with the approval of the County Clerk.  The cost of the waiver varies in addition to the application fee. If divorced, copy of judgment of divorce, court annulment or death certificate is required.  Six month waiting period from the date of divorce, there is no waiting period for death of spouse. License is good for 30 days from the date issued.

Couples who want a certified copy of their wedding license must, in addition, contact the Register of Deeds office in the county where the marriage took place.  There is  a $20 additional fee for this service.  Without this, couples receive no acknowledgement that their marriage license was processed.

Marriage License Fee: Varies by county and some require cash.  There is no marriage license discount granted to couples who complete premarital education.

CONTACT YOUR WI COUNTY CLERK   The information provided for you here is accurate county to county.  However, matters are are subject to change, so be sure to talk with your WI county clerk.


Comments are closed.